Friday, August 26, 2011

Fantastic Friday

We ended the week with Fantastic Friday!  And boy was it Fantastic!  We did “a little” work and “a lot” of FUN!!!  We played with legos, blocks, and had some computer fun.  We also played Alphabet Hits the Spot!  It's like an ABC twister!  So much fun! Today was a reward for an awesome first week!  I introduced “Read to Self”, part of Daily 5.  Daily 5 is the program the class will use as workstations.  There will be 5 activities the kiddos have to complete during our reading time.  During their Daily 5 rotations, I will be working with small reading groups.  We won’t begin for a few weeks, but we are practicing what to do in each Daily 5 station so we can be prepared when the time comes. 
With “Read to Self” the students pick a “good fit” book and read by themselves for an allotted amount of time.  We talked about building our stamina in reading.  We made it to 7 minutes of “Read to Self”!  I was so proud of them.  They challenged themselves to make it to 10 minutes on Monday!  I have complete confidence that they will make it!  During “Read to Self” they can read three ways: Read the pictures, Read the Words, or Retell.  
Next week we will begin “Read to Someone” and “Listen to Reading”.  All three of these activities will help your child become proficient readers.  After all, practice makes perfect!


I want to thank you all for sharing your kiddos with me!!!  I can’t brag on them enough.  I want to also brag on their parents!  You guys did a great job filling all that paperwork out and sending it back promptly.  Thanks so much!  You make my job easier! 
Mrs. Richardson

0 comments:

Post a Comment